Cinn Là / Performance Dates
- 10th to 14th October - Celtic Colours Festival, Canada. Margaret returns to Celtic Colours after many years absence. For nine days in October, Cape Breton Island is alive with music, energy and excitement as people come from far and wide to celebrate their rich culture. From concerts to dances and workshops to community suppers, we offer a full range of events against a gorgeous backdrop of autumn colours.
- 22nd to 24th September - Philadelphia, USA, Performing and Adjudicating at American National Mod.
- 1st September - 'Moladh Mòraig', Blas Festival. An evening of song and music in Scalpay Community Centre to celebrate Morag MacLeod's 80th year. Margaret is honoured to have been chosen to sing at this celebratory event for her friend of many years. Morag spent most of her working life at the School of Scottish Studies, Edinburgh University where she lectured on Gaelic song. She has also been of enormous help to singers such as Margaret over the years and it is a delight to be able to perform at this celebratory event in her honour.
- 26th August - Ceilidh in Lismore - a fundraising event on behalf of the local Historical Society.
- 12th and 13th August - Fort George, near Inverness/Nairn Immerse yourself in the past as hundreds of performers tell Scotland's story. Visit the encampments and view dramatic re-enactments. Try your hand at traditional skills, meet the archaeologists and find out about the fascinating finds that help us piece together the puzzles of the past. Celebrate Scottish culture with a programme of traditional music over the weekend featuring artists with strong Highland links, including The Margaret Stewart Trio who will perform songs relating to Fort George and the Jacobite movement.
This event is not to be missed! Click on link (Amazing Ages) for more info.
- 9th August - Isle of Skye. A special concert with Margaret and renowned harpist, Ingrid Henderson, as part of the Skye Festival programme. An opportunity to drink from the well of Gaelic culture in the company of two of Gaeldom's finest traditional music exponents.
- 7th to 11th August - Isle of Skye. Margaret has been invited back to Sabhal Mòr Ostaig to deliver another of her fascinating song courses. This new course, A Seascape of Gaelic Song, one will have a strong nautical flavour, exploring our rich legacy of sea-themed Gaelic songs.
- 6th to 10th July - Rudolstadt Festival in Germany - Kist o' Riches / Tobar an Dualchais is like a digital heirloom seed bank. It’s an ambitious project freeing thousands of Scotland’s folk voices trapped in the archives. This documentation process set out in 2006 to preserve over 12,000 hours of oral field recordings recorded between the 1930s and the end of the century. In 2010, www.tobarandualchais.co.uk went live. It uploaded for public access thousands of tracks (currently 38,000) of traditional culture - songs, music, stories and poetry. this unique concert, 13 performers (including Margaret Stewart) representing and celebrating a broad church of Scotland’s highly diverse regional musical traditions resurrect the Voice of the People. A festival highlight.
- 22nd June - Glasgow Westend Festival presents 'Binneas nam Ban', a night of Gaelic singing from some of Scotland's finest singers and featuring songs written by female bards. Featuring renowned Lewis singer Margaret Stewart, South Uist treasure Kathleen MacInnes and newly formed group 'Sian', comprising fantastic young singers Eilidh Cormack, Ellen MacDonald and Ceitlin Smith. With expert accompaniment from Jenn Butterworth and Ingrid Henderson, this special concert is not to be missed!
- 21st June - Togaibh Fonn at An Lòchran, Glasgow - Margaret will give a workshop on Songs of Courtship & Night Visiting from 7:00pm to 8:20pm.
- 17th to 21st April - Margaret will lead a new short course at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig as part of their Easter Short Courses programme. Click on highlighted link for further information and booking details on the 'Aspects of Highland Material Culture' course.
- Some Past Events:-
- 30th July to 3rd Aug 2012 - Margaret will be leading a 5-day course on the Gaelic Songs of the Jacobite Era, at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig. Further information and booking details on this link ( Jacobite Songs Short Course)
- May 23rd - Heading over to Knoydart, on the opposite side of the Sound of Sleat from Sabhal Mòr, with the course students on Wednesday evening. I've never been to this remote location before, although I've looked at it every day I've been at the college. Photo gallery may follow.
- May 20th - Margaret to be teaching a short, 5-day course on the Gaelic Songs of Emigration & The Clearances, at Sabhal Mor Ostaig, from Mon 21st to Friday 25th May. Further information on this link (SMO Short Course)
- May 26th - Ceòl Mòr Ostaig - A group, consisting of staff and students from Sabhal Mor Ostaig, particuarly those involved in the BA Hons Gaidhlig & Traditional Music degree course, will be appearing in a live show at Ceòl 's Craic in Glasgow - for one night only. Join us for a night of good Highland craic.
- November 2011 - In October, 2011 Margaret was appointed Musician in Residence at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, Scotland's Gaelic College, on the beautiful Isle-of-Skye. She started in the post in October 2011 and has been enjoying the opportunity to undertake research in such an inspiring setting, while also taking part in various projects at the college and in the local community.
- November, 2011 - Margaret is delighted to have been offered a commission by the Blas Festival, for a series of five concert in the Highland region. These concerts, themed on 'The Highland Wedding', will be on tour from Friday 7th September.